Humboldt Brass Septet composition competition
Written By: Geoff Wolmark Comments: 0
The Humboldt Brass Chamber Music Workshop announces its 2013 Composition Contest for Brass Septet. The first prize is $2000, second prize $1000 and third prize $500. All works will be performed and judged by the Brass Chamber Music Workshop coaching staff. Winners’ works will be performed during the July 2013 Brass Chamber Music Workshop in Arcata, California, where amateur musicians will perform the music in a workshop format. Qualifying submissions will be added to the Workshop Library.
- Composition should be an original, previously unpublished, work for brass septet (2221), viz. 2 trumpets (cornets, flugelhorns), 2 horns (in F), 2 trombones (bass clef), 1 tuba.
- The composition should be a multi movement work, from 10-12 minutes in length. Composer’s original material written for another complement and adapted for brass septet is acceptable.
- Difficulty level: should be playable by the average college ensemble. You may write for trumpets in other keys (C, E flat, B flat piccolo), but please include B flat parts; trombone and euphonium parts in bass clef. Please include a complete score, a completed set of parts, a CD-ROM with a PDF of score and parts, and a recording, which may be a synthesised MIDI recording. Please put PDFs and recording on one disk.
- All entries should be received no later than 1 February 2013. Winning submissions will be notified by May 15, 2013. Send submissions to: BCMW Composition Contest, c/o Tony Clements, 321 Dallas Drive, Campbell, CA 95008, USA
Directions for Submission
In order to ensure anonymity, do not put your name on the score or on any of the parts. Put all contact information (name, address, phone, email) in a sealed envelope with the title of your composition on the outside of the envelope.
Guidelines for Submissions
- Please print all scores and parts double sided, taking page turns into consideration.
- Scores should be reduced as they are used for coaching purposes and are not used for conducting.
- Bind and/or tape scores and parts. Please do not submit loose pages.
- Works not adhering to these guidelines will be disqualified.
For further information, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
One copy of each submission becomes the property of the BCMW for use at the workshop and maybe performed at a later date. Composer retains copyrights of all works submitted. One duplicated copy will be made for archival purposes.
Share this article